Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Scroll Up

Phoebe used to like cheesymite scrolls for school lunches but I decided that it was too much of a pain to buy them every week, not to mention costly, so I developed our own version. She is now the most popular girl in school - at least at lunchtime. And I also have some cachet with year 12 - my scrolls have been requested at Charities Committee meetings. This is a true story.
In a bowl mix:
500g white bread flour
1 sachet instant yeast
1 tbsp salt (use less to taste)
Add 5 tbsp olive oil to 300-400 ml warm water and mix with dry ingredients to make a soft but firm dough. Knead in your usual way until you have a smooth elastic ball then leave to rise in a lightly oiled bowl covered with clingfilm for about an hour.
When done split the dough in half.
Roll out one half to a rectangle roughly 30 cm by 10 cm. Might be longer - it should be quite thin. Spread the rectangle with tomato paste. Sprinkle on grated cheese - I use cheddar & Parmesan. Actually pile on the cheese - these are very cheesy scrolls. Then sprinkle with dried oregano - I tried chopping fresh but my customer prefers dried. Carefully roll up lengthways & slice into 3cm scrolls. I get 15 or so scrolls. Don't make them too big - they can always take 2.
Put on a baking tray covered with a tea towel for 1/2 hour or so to rise again. Bake at 200 15-20 mins.
While the scrolls are rising cut the top off a garlic bulb, drizzle with olive oil & loosely wrap in tin foil. Put in the oven with the scrolls & leave in another 20 minutes after you've taken them out.
Take your 2nd ball of dough and roll into another rectangle, this time more bulky - more 20cm by 15cm. Sorry didn't measure. Leave on a baking tray, covered with a tea towel to rise. Meantime whizz a handful of parsley in your food processor with the garlic you have just squeezed out of the roasted bulbs. Add some olive oil to make an emulsion - a thick pouring consistency. Make some dimples on the loaf - I use my knuckles. Then pour over the emulsion and bake at 190 for 20 minutes or so. Sprinkle with Maldon salt while still warm and drizzle on some more oi if you are going to eat straight away. I often freeze & drizzle the oil when I am warming up.
Some things to consider when making bread. Look for recipes that resemble the bread you like. This is a flat bread recipe but when I was looking for scrolls this looked the best & it worked. When I wanted to make fruit bread I added spices & fruit to a recipe for rye bread - that worked. The Mountain bread (2 August) replaced our weekly Vogel's loaf. So now I make the breads we used to buy. I use instant yeast. It's just easier. I knead my bread with the dough hook on my mixer. All this makes breadmaking simple - just part of our regular kitchen activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment