Sunday, January 31, 2010

Summer Salads

We have had a few days of summer weather, and have been eating accordingly. We have even eaten outside a couple of times. Louisiana Chicken salad, originally discovered at Lois Daish's Mt Cook Cafe, is an old favourite of ours which has now become part of Phoebe's repertoire. Lois just served the chicken with greens but we have added everyone's favourite salad ingredients & our version is quite a colourful meal. Marinade diced chicken for at least an hour in about 1/4 cup tomato sauce (A Bit of Everything July 5) mixed with 2 tbsp grainy mustard, 2 tsp paprika, pinch cayenne, crushed garlic, thyme, salt & pepper. On a platter or a large bowl arrange a variety of salad leaves - don't overlook herbs such as basil & flat leaf parsley - diced capsicum, radish, halved cherry tomatoes. I just use whatever is in season. Saute the chicken. Toss some lemony vinaigrette through the salad. Arrange the warm chicken on top and in season I usually top with slices of avocado. A friend crumbles bacon over the top as well. I even used to replace the chicken with falafel for Harriet when she lived at home.
Another old favourite in our house is tuna pasta. I use tri colour pasta but any small shapes will do. I think twists or shells work best. In a large bowl, mix the cooked pasta with a tin of tuna and after that put in whatever you like. I add spring onion, capsicum, radish, peas & corn, hard boiled egg, feta, sprouts. Mix though some mayonnaise sparingly. This was one of my father's favourites & he always wanted the recipe but he couldn't cook from - put in whatever you like, so I always made it for him when I visited.
I've been experimenting with different salad leaves. Try baby spinach with a few radicchio leaves. Add segments of lime, lemon & orange. Peel & segment, then slice each segment out of it's skin covering. Add sliced avocado & grilled haloumi. Dress with a dressing of olive oil, a drizzle of honey, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1/2 tsp sumac, 50g toasted crushed pine nuts.
Phoebe has become very artistic with the arrangement of her berries on her cereal so I thought I'd share.

No comments:

Post a Comment