Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Quiet Life

Back to the quiet life. A few weeks ago Nikau were at the City Market serving doughnuts and selling kedgeree tea towels. I bought the tea towel and at last got around to making the kedgeree. I can't tell you how to make it, you'll have to buy your own tea towel. I will let you in on the curry secret. Paul told us they use Vencat curry powder and now so do we. Ours was good but doesn't quite match up to the real thing. Kedgeree is a good quick thing to do after work.
I'm not usually a fan of Asian meals. Although I do love cabbage with Asian flavours and one of my all time favourite meals was the Thai beef salad from the Sugar Club in Wellington. I still miss that restaurant. Back to our dinner. We made an amazing Asian beef salad. I realise what I really dislike about Asian food is not the flavours, which I love, but noodles which I loathe. And yet I love pasta. Can't explain.
I digress again. This salad was delicious and a definite do again. First saute a couple of finely sliced shallots until crisp & set aside. Make a syrup by dissolving 1/4 cup rice vinegar & 1/2 cup grated palm sugar in a small pan over a low heat. Then bring to the boil & cook about 3 minutes. Tip the syrup into a bowl & whisk in 2 tbsp lime juice, 1 tbsp fish sauce, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 clove garlic crushed, 1/4 tsp chilli powder, 2 tbsp chilli sauce, 1 tbsp vegetable oil.
Rub a piece of sirloin or rib eye steak with a little oil & salt & pepper and fry in a saute pan 2-3 minutes each side. Put it in a flat dish with half the dressing & leave at least 10 minutes, turning a couple of times. We used 250g beef for 2 but the dressing will suffice for up to 600g. (We bought a beautiful piece of sirloin from Ryan, the "boy" at the Gipps St butcher - aged to a deep red.)
In a large bowl add thin juliennes of carrot, some baby spinach, 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage, 2 thinly slice spring onions, a handful Vietnamese mint (regular will suffice) and a handful of bean sprouts. Bean sprouts are really delicious but they spoil quickly and I find it hard to buy them in small enough quantities. We always end up wasting some and I hate waste.
Return to the beef and slice thinly & return to the dressing. Toss the salad and 1/2 the reserved shallots in some of the remaining dressing then toss through the beef. Sprinkle the remaining shallots & some more mint over the salad once plated.
We have just pickled a batch of onions. This year we included both red and brown onions. I hope it works.
This morning Harriet's centre had a gala and she made a multitude of vegan cup cakes. I bought agave nectar cakes & green tea ones. They look so pretty on the plate. I have to comment on the delicious food that was being served. On the barbecue they were doing yummy looking burgers and vege skewers. Someone was making chick pea toasties (Channa Mania was the pitch!). If I hadn't been rushing home to a loaf of San Francisco sourdough, a slab of goats cheese & a dish of herbs, I would have succumbed to temptation.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Finally! You have changed the layout and it was confusing finding the place to comment. Thanks for mentioning my centre and cupcakes Mum, great post. I know...! there should be a fortnightly vegan section, when we come for dinner! <3

    ReplyDelete