Sunday, June 14, 2009

Shepherd's Pie & more

Not a lot of time this week but I must tell you about the shepherd's pie that followed last week's delicious lamb. I minced the leftover lamb, added softened onion & garlic, finely chopped all left over veg, which included potatoes, kumara, pumpkin, broccoli, sprouts. Added the gravy and a couple of chopped tamarillos, some herbs, salt & pepper to taste. You want the mixture just moist but not soggy. Pile into a casserole dish & top with mashed potato & kumara. Remember kumara & lamb are good friends. I added a grating of nutmeg. Bake in a moderate oven for about 1/2 an hour until topping is golden. I always use agria potatoes for mash because they have a beautiful colour as well as flavour. This was the best shepherd's pie ever - I'm not sure why. I put it down to a either the tamarillo or the gravy or a combination of both. Try adding a tamarillo to a casserole as well. You will not be disappointed. They add a delicious sharpness.
You will remember last week we bought those sausages. They went into a leek, mushroom & sausage risotto. This was done in the usual way - soften mushrooms with the leek, add rice, then wine, then stock. I added fennel seeds & rosemary. I pan-fried the sausages, drained, chopped and added with Parmesan. One sausage per person is plenty so splash out on really good sausages - or make your own.
There was a leek languishing in the pantry on Friday so I put together another risotto, this time adding frozen peas and some crispy fried bacon (free range) at the end.

We went to friends for dinner on Saturday & had a delicious meal. Before dinner we had a superb pork terrine with crackers. (If you are reading this can you remind me where it came from). For dinner we had oxtails with dumplings, mash & brussels sprouts. Pretty much my perfect meal. Followed by Caramel & Croissant pudding.
The night Phoebe went out to a chemistry quiz, we treated ourselves to a potato, mussel & chorizo salad. We'll be having that again!
This morning we went to the vege market and called into the new City Market. I am reserving judgement for now. We didn't eat before we went as we thought there might be tastings. And there were, but we also treated ourselves to a cup of cod & oyster chowder. It was the perfect breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment