Sunday, October 18, 2009

Meat and three veg

I love a small piece of lean meat with a selection of vegetables. There are lots of cuts of lamb you can treat this way. Leg steaks, backstrap, fillet or rack all work well. I like to rub my piece of lamb with salt, pepper & cumin & leave to sit before cooking. Or with a bit more effort make a paste of garlic, olive oil, rosemary, cumin, cinnamon & lemon zest. Another favourite is a paste of anchovies, lemon zest, Dijon mustard, capers, red wine vinegar, olive oil & garlic. Serve the lamb with couscous - I usually toss a spring onion in a hot saucepan with olive oil, add the couscous, cover with the same quantity of boiling water, clamp on the lid & leave it to do it's thing. When you're ready to use, fluff up with a fork, stir through some olive oil, toasted pinenuts & parsley. Try roasting some asparagus. This is really popular at our house. In a dish lightly toss asparagus spears, very fine slices of garlic, a sprinkling of chilli flakes, some colourful cherry tomatoes, olives, olive oil & a good handful of fresh basil. Season with salt & pepper & put in a hot roasting tray, in a hot oven (225), and roast for about 12 minutes. Turn a couple of times during cooking if you remember. Steam seasonal vegetables and before serving toss in a little olive oil & season. Experiment to see what tastes good to you. I like lemon infused garlic oil with asparagus, or orange infused with carrots. I cooked asparagus in the tinfoil parcels with baby carrots & added slices of lemon. That worked. This is the time of year for ratatouille. I'm sure you'll have a recipe somewhere. And add potatoes if you need them - sauteed, crushed & roasted, or hasselback work well with all these dishes.

Or cook a beautiful fillet of pork - rubbed with a paste of juniper berries, flat leaf parsley & black pepper. Sear the pork fillets first in a pan then roll in the juniper mixture & roast at 175 about 8-10 minutes. Don't forget to leave your meat to rest before serving. This gives you time to finish off the veg or make a sauce. Put the roasting pan on a hot element, add a little wine & beef stock (maybe 1/2 cup of each) & reduce by 1/3. Pork is good with mash - try adding celeriac or kumara - and cabbage or chinese greens such as bok choy.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My workmate has a loquat tree, a fruit that I'm not sure we get in New Zealand. They are quite small and orange and have 1-4 (or more) large seeds in them. They are pretty juicy and I think most people peel the skin off before eating the flesh. I think they taste a bit like pears. Anyway, he brought a whole lot into work and I didn't want them to go rotten, so made some muffins out of them based on the muffin recipe in Edmond's. They didn't taste of much when warm, but once they cooled down they were quite nice.

    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yyq1mr90JI4q4XGUlsXryg?feat=directlink

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we do get loquats in NZ. I haven't seen them for years & I've never heard of them in muffins. That was ain interesting idea. I think I remember my Grandma making loquat jelly (jelly jam). Mandy, Mary - is this right? There are also kumquats - I assume they're similar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Gillian Sommerville today and we were talking about her loquat tree growing in her garden in Ponsonby!! She had made jam.

    ReplyDelete