Saturday, November 21, 2009

Three kinds of beetroot

It's been a while. I've not been able to get into the study due to exams. They're not over, however I have been granted entry to make a small post.
I thought I'd mention beetroot. I would happily eat beetroot every day & I suspect I do. It is one of the most versatile vegetables. It is wonderful with lamb. Recently I couldn't decide so I made 3 kinds of beetroot. First cook your beetroot. I bring it to the boil in cold water & then simmer until cooked. About 30 mins for baby beets & 40 mins or longer for larger ones. Then skin them. Allow one large beetroot per person
A hot beetroot dish. Cut 2 large beetroot into six pieces each - halve then cut each half into 3. Put them in a roasting dish just big enough to fit snugly. Toss in olive oil, season with salt & pepper & roast in a hot oven about 25 minutes. Meanwhile make a dressing - whisk 1/2 tbsp liquid honey 1 tbsp balsamic & 2 tbsp olive oil, add 1/2 dozen black olives, chopped rosemary & season. When the beets are roasted, slice some goats cheese or any good feta on top & drizzle over the dressing.
Beetroot salad. Slice a red onion & steep in a small dish with 1 tbsp red wine vinegar & olive oil for at least 1/2 hour. This softens the onions & renders them a beautiful translucent pink. Slice the beetroot onto a dish, then artfully arrange the onions on top. Tip on the vinegar & oil residue. Drizzle over a little more oil, the sprinkle sea salt, grated orange zest & finely chopped mint.
Or chop the beetroot into chunks. Make a dressing of yoghurt, crushed garlic, caraway seeds, salt & pepper. Stir the beetroot through the yoghurt & sprinkle a little paprika as a garnish on the top. Or chopped mint is nice.
I had my 3 kinds of beetroot with lamb on skewers. Mix 400g lamb mince with 3 cloves minced garlic, 1/2 preserved lemon rind - finely chopped, 1 dozen finely chopped sundried tomatoes, olive oil, finely chopped parsley & thyme, salt & pepper. Divide the lamb into about 18 portions. Flatten the lamb & wrap around a small piece of bocconcini - you want about 3 bocconcini balls, and roll into elongated balls. Cook the meatballs in a frying pan , then when cool enough to handle tread onto skewers with cherry tomatoes & basil leaves. I make 2 skewers per person with 3 lamb balls & 3 tomatoes on each. It goes lamb, basil leaf, tomato, lamb, basil leaf, tomato etc to end with tomato.
Finally I make salad for my lunch for most of the summer. I have cos lettuce, baby spinach, capsicum, spring onion, radish, puy lentils, quartered baby beetroot, left over lamb or chicken, left over roast potatoes, left over peas are yummy, feta cheese topped with pea tendrils, puy lentil sprouts, micro greens. Drizzle over some vinaigrette. You get the idea - just what I can find in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment